Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is there such a thing as an a/c with timer and minimum temperature control?

I have a vacation rental in Hawaii. There is no heat or a/c in the unit (or in my home). This is customary since temperatures rarely get above 85 or below 60 degree F. I wanted to provide a/c for renters for those few hot days. However, I don鈥檛 want to have it run 24/7 since electricity on island is very very expensive (ranging from 34 to 57 cent per kilowatt depending on the price of oil). Providing a/c to keep the unit at 60 degrees is cost prohibitive. I would be okay with a/c to 72 degrees and only when the renters are in the unit and not at night since there is no need. I would like it to shut off automatically after running for a couple of hours.Is there such a thing as an a/c with timer and minimum temperature control?
I don't know about the cost but I have seen commercial systems where all the controls are in a locked box so you can set it up the way you have described; on the walls you have temp. sensors instead of thermostats.


Note: even if electricity was dirt cheap, you don't ever want to put it on 60 degrees. The unit will last considerably longer if it is set so that it will cycle on and off; not run constantly.
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment