Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Freshwater temperature Control!!?

I have a 10 gallon tank (got from mom, I've already asked a couple other questions about it here), anyway, I think my biggest problem is keeping the temperature under control. I have a heater that will turn on and off at different levels, but it is so warm out right now (and nobody in Portland seems to think we actually need air conditioning) that I can't keep the temperature low enough. I've tried putting the tank in the darkest corners of my apartment, yet it will still spike to 82+ degrees during the day, then fall back into the range where the heater can control it at night. Im a busy person so sometimes I can come home and the temperature has risen 4 degrees!!........is there such a thing as aquarium air conditioners?Freshwater temperature Control!!?
Actually, yes there is. They're called chillers. However, the cheapest one is around $300, so it's just the same thing as purchasing a house air conditioner: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/info鈥?/a>


http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pe鈥?/a>


http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl鈥?/a>


http://www.petsolutions.com/Chillers+C10鈥?/a>





Try turning OFF the heater. Leaving it on will just contribute more heat to the water.





Try floating some frozen water bottles on the surface of the tank where the filter output can reach it. That way the output will disperse the coldness throughout the tank.





E-mail me for any questions!Freshwater temperature Control!!?
if the temperature doesn't go up higher then 84 degrees, and you keep just regular tropicals, i wouldn't worry to much about it


all my tanks go up to 86 degrees in the summer, but if higher, i definitely keep it down by turning on the AC


other options are


putting in water bottles, which you have had in the freezer


or putting on a fan directly onto the water surface


or as alreayd mentioned a chiller
i have that same problem with my 10gal in my room i just leave it


but im ganna put some ice in a zip lock or a frozen bottle and put it in the water





i turned off my heater and i dont turn on the light it helps a lil i got a catfish in it so he dont need light
Yes you could try the ice but if you have a tank light you might try turning it off for a little bit. In my turtle tank the temperature got too hot so I would turn off the light for a whille and it would go down to about 78F
The only advice I have for you cooling your aquarium is using at least two ice trays and just dip them in your tank, the ice should float to the surface and the temperature should drop after the ice has melted.
Depending on fish you have you can take you night time temp up to 80-81 degrees then you won't have as much temp changes.


I keep my cichlid tank at 80 year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment